Monday, March 29, 2010


I have been making dog treats for some time because I hate that I go to the pet store and still find treats with corn gluten and other crap STILL on the shelves. I have so many friends that ask that I make treats for them that I am going to start selling homemade treats off of our MacTavish Scotties website.  So... every few days I experiment with a new treat recipe.  This week-end: peanut butter Snaps and peanut butter puffs.  SNAPS - YES... puffs - not so great.  As I develop the process I will offer a sampler pack with some of the proven favorites:  milk bones (biscuit au lait) , peanut butter snaps, and cheesy bones - to name a few.  Please check our links often -and I will announce as soon as we are up and running! Bone Appetit

Friday, March 19, 2010

Here's some recipes for your dogs to drool over!

We are always on the lookout for new doggy websites - and this one fits the bill - It is called the Poop Pantry and has gobs of dog treat recipes.  I have tried several, including some easy microwave treats that the dogs really love!  Check them out:

Are Grapes and Raisins Really Toxic to your Dog?

Are grapes and raisins really toxic? They seem like such healthy fruits, that reports of toxicity seems impossible. However, over the past few years reports have begun to surface that ingesting grapes or raisins can be toxic to dogs.

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, between January 2001 and August 2004, over 200 calls were made to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center involving potential exposures to grapes or raisins in dogs. Grape and/or raisin ingestion can cause acute kidney failure in some dogs.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic studies suggest the lowest documented toxic raisin dose is 0.1 oz/kg and 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. Raisins are 4.5 times or concentrated than grapes on an oz per oz basis.

So far, at least 10 dogs have been officially reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Blue Buffalo Announces New Puppy Food

WebsiteBlue Buffalo has always been one of my preferred dog foods.  They now have a smaller kibble for puppies.  This is excellent food for pups.  These foods can be a bit pricey though - but if your dogs haven't had to go on the budget plan yet - then this is the way to go!

If you live near a Tractor Supply Co. they have a new food called 4Health.  I have found this to be of the same quality as Blue Buffalo and at about half the price.  My dogs love it!


Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dangers of Flea Medication - Beware of Overdosing

Flea and tick medications are common treatments for pets. They are often sold over the counter and applied to millions of pets ever year; however, flea medication carries a myriad of risks to both pets and owners. The medications are filled with toxic chemicals (they kills fleas and ticks, after all). If they are not applied to extreme caution, serious complications and possibly death may occur.
Flea medication is highly concentrated; when rubbing the medication onto an animal, high concentrations can be left on one spot on the dog or cat. The high level in one are then seeps into the skin and into the pet's circulatory system. The toxins that are used to kill fleas are also harmful to the animal . Uneven application can cause nerve problems and can make both dogs and cats extremely ill with lasting effects.
Many flea medications come in shampoo form. The theory is that the flea medication will be applied and then rinsed from the animal. It is imperative to rinse the pet thoroughly, as dogs and cats tend to lick themselves and any medication residue could be ingested. The toxins in flea medication, even if just residue, can lead to nerve damage, brain damage and may be fatal for pets.
Human Contact
Any people using a flea medication on their pets also must be extremely careful when handling the products. Hands must be washed thoroughly afterward and skin contact should be limited. The toxic chemicals used to kill fleas can seep into the skin and cause unpleasant reactions in some people. .
Puppies and Kittens
Flea medication should not be used on kittens and puppies. The young animals are not big enough or strong enough to defend against the chemicals and may end up with brain damage, kidney damage and nerve damage if the product is not applied correctly.


Healthy And Flea And Ticks Free! How Flea Free Works

Flee Free is an ALL natural, none toxic liquid supplement that will get your pet rid of fleas in 20-24 hours and will prevent any re-infestation. When added to your pet's drinking water the product is ingested and works internally and naturally by producing an enzyme that shields the protein the female needs to lay eggs. Without this protein the female flea will have no choice but exist the animal since it has only 20 to 24 hours to live without drawing blood.

Scottish Terrier owners, beware! Bridget sick after ingesting more Cuz ball feet

'Excerpt from Scottish Terrier News'

Bridget is a ball thief and she especially likes to steal Cuz dog toys with feet and chew the feet off.

Given her past history with these balls, I have learned to look out for them and steer her away, especially from the small ones, on which she can perform a foot amputation in mere seconds.

Well, last night in the middle of the night, she started barking to go out, something she very rarely does. I let her out and assumed the problem was solved but the barking continued and at dawn, I let her out again and saw that the floor was covered with pools of vomit. She was also madly eating grass, hiding in the bushes, walking tail down and generally behaving very listlessly. I thought maybe it was a wood chip she had eaten at the park or the sandwich crumbs she had hoovered up at a sidewalk cafe the day before.

At one point, she retreated under the back garden stairs and I worried that she might have passed out, but then she perked up so we headed out of town instead of to the emergency vet. She continued to behave normally until noon when she pooped and, behind the regular stuff, two perfectly-formed Cuz ball feet emerged.

Bridget was with me all day yesterday so I'm almost 100% sure they weren't consumed then. They must have been consumed earlier this week when I wasn't around and backs were turned, but I have no idea how long they were churning around in her stomach.

Please, keep these dangerous balls away from your Scotties.

Update: Bridget has been herself since three hours before the feet emerged. I guess the problem was preapring the feet for expulsion

Monday, March 1, 2010


Dogs need toys, the same as they need walks, food, fresh water, and their people.

The Kong: Bigfoot Dog Toy


Dogs need toys, the same as they need walks, food, fresh water, and their people. The Kong toy satisfies the dogged yen to chew, slurp, slam, bam, and, yes, think like an animal. A first Kong for a puppy is a rite of passage and a necessary item for play and comfort to sustain and entertain a dog during a lifetime. For shelter dogs, Kongs are lifelines. The toys connect these orphans to their roots and can be best friends in a lonely cage.

Listen to this interview with Mark Hines of the Kong Company that aired on "Ask Dog Lady," the radio show. Dog Lady hopes you will better understand a woofer's desire to follow the call of the wild, bouncy, rubber thingamajig. Dog Lady, by the way, thinks the classic Kong is shaped like a snowman. Hines suggests a beehive. Hear the story of how this intriguingly-shaped essential dog plaything was invented in Part 1 of the interview:

And Part 2, like the stuffed Kong itself, is filled lots of juicy morsels: